You know how sometimes you’re listening to a happy-sounding upbeat song, with a good catchy melody and all? Then all of a sudden, your brain starts registering the lyrics, and then it’s like… WHOA! This song is FUCKING DEPRESSING! Do you ever get that? I get it all the time, and it’s a major head trip. It’s like watching bunnies dancing around and then realizing that the “dance” is actually an act of genocide.
Anyway, here’s a short list of some songs I think sound deceptively happy, but are actually sad as hell.
If you’ve got some suggestions, drop a comment!
- Death Cab for Cutie – No Sunlight
- The Cure – In Between Days
- The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry
- Everclear – Sunflowers
- Adam Sandler – Somebody Kill Me
- Adrienne Pierce – Lost and Found
- Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- Jewel – You Were Meant For Me
- Liz Phair – Fuck and Run
- Postal Service – We Will Become Silhouettes
- Rachael Yamagata – Worn Me Down
- Suzanne Vega – Luka
- Tegan and Sara – Back in Your Head
- Tegan and Sara – I Hear Noises
- Tegan and Sara – You Wouldn’t Like Me
- that dog. – Ms Wrong
- City High – What Would You Do